Every August 3rd, we celebrate National Watermelon Day. Did you know that watermelon is 92% water and it has its own “national holiday”? (Both true.) We don’t know where it came from, but we’re ready to celebrate with the tips below. Aside from the refreshing goodness that makes up summer’s favorite fruit, the seeds are good for us too! Don’t worry, eating the seeds won’t cause a watermelon to sprout in our bellies, but it will provide nutrients our bodies loves. Try one of our favorites with friends and family, and enjoy the sweetness of this holiday.
Melon Balls, Mozzarella, & Mint
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1 watermelon
- 1 mozzarella ball
- ½ cup mint leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Prosciutto (optional)
- Wash and slice the watermelon in half.
- Place Melon baller deep into the flesh, and rotate 180 degrees.
- Place Melon baller into mozzarella, and rotate 180 degrees.
- Place balls onto a plate, add optional Prosciutto.
- Drizzle olive oil and dash with mint. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper to taste.
Watermelon Strawberry Feta Salad
Total time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 3 cups strawberries, diced
- 2 avocados, diced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8-9 mint sprigs
- In a large bowl, mix watermelon, strawberries, avocado, feta cheese, and almonds.
- Toss and coat with olive oil and mint. Salt and pepper to taste.
© Little Spice Jar
Watermelon Yogurt Pops
Total time: 4 hrs, 15 minutes
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 popsicle sticks
- In a blender, mix all ingredients together.
- Pour mixture into popsicle mold and insert sticks.
- Freeze until firm, usually 4 hours.
© Chocolate Moosey
Watermelon Ice Cream
Total time: 4 hrs, 10 minutes
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into loaf pan and freeze for roughly 3 hours.
- Scoop mixture into blender and give it another whirl. Pour into loaf pan and freeze for another hour.
Looking for a vegan option? Follow the same steps, but only use watermelon and sugar – leave-out the milk.